Subject: Re: Printing to a PostScript printer
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/12/1997 17:03:26
On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> > I just installed NetBSD 1.2 on a IIcx, and everything went well. It's on my
> > LAN, which is connected to the Internet. I can remotely access the computer
> > from elsewhere on the LAN, and ftp can access servers over the Internet, so
> > I think networking is working correctly.
> >
> > On the same LAN, I've got bunches of PostScript printers. Can I get
> > NetBSD's line printer system to print to the PostScript printers? If so,
> > where can I find the information on how to do this?
>
> Yes. The question is how.
>
> What kind of printers are they? If they are for-unix printers, just
> tell NetBSD it has a remote queue at the printer's IP address.
>
> If they are AppleTalk printers, you need to get either CAP or the
> beta port of NetAtalk to NetBSD. Either option will let you get
> your Mac speaking AppleTalk, and chatting with the printers.

Then again, the printer may have AppleTalk as an option - my DataProducts
LZR960 is like this.  When I'm using it with MacOS, I configure the DIN-8
port to speak LocalTalk;  when I'm in NetBSD (about 90% of the time) I
just change the config for the port to RS-422.  So, look at your printer
manual to see if configuring it's communications is an option.

In either case, if the printer is a PostScript printer, you'll need
something to convert plain text into PS.  I use the GNU enscript with good
results.  It even has a "2-up" (two pages side-by-side, just like the
Mac's printer driver) capability!

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:      |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@pgoyette.bdt.com |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com  |