Subject: Re: Printing to a PostScript printer
To: Eric Damien Berna <eric@thiel.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/12/1997 16:35:08

> I just installed NetBSD 1.2 on a IIcx, and everything went well. It's on my
> LAN, which is connected to the Internet. I can remotely access the computer
> from elsewhere on the LAN, and ftp can access servers over the Internet, so
> I think networking is working correctly.
>
> On the same LAN, I've got bunches of PostScript printers. Can I get
> NetBSD's line printer system to print to the PostScript printers? If so,
> where can I find the information on how to do this?

Yes. The question is how.

What kind of printers are they? If they are for-unix printers, just
tell NetBSD it has a remote queue at the printer's IP address.

If they are AppleTalk printers, you need to get either CAP or the
beta port of NetAtalk to NetBSD. Either option will let you get
your Mac speaking AppleTalk, and chatting with the printers.

Take care,

Bill