Subject: Re: DUO 230: Serial Echo
To: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: Nathan G. Raymond <xray@cs.brandeis.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/12/1997 17:15:52
> > > Try a printer cable. Mac printer cables are wired as null modems
> > > (printers and macs have the same pinouts; that's why you can use the
> > > same LocalTalk boxes on a mac and a printer).
> >
> > this would (since I am *so* uniformed, as I'm quickly finding!) beg the
> > question, how do I know the different between a printer cable and a
> > localTalk cable.
>
> Technically, I believe that a LocalTalk cable has only 3 wires (only
> needs 2, since PhoneNet only requires 2, and it's LocalTalk also).
>
> A printer cable has something closer to 7 or 8, I think.  I printer cable
> will usually work in lieu of a LocalTalk system, but I don't think that
> it's recommended.  It will work as a null-modem cable just fine, tho.

A male-male DIN-8 printer cable will work fine connecting only two
computers.  The only reason there is LocalTalk and Phonenet connectors is
for connecting more than two computers, since both of these (DIN-3 and
RJ-11 respectively) can be daisy-chained.

While its fine to say that a printer cable isn't recommended for
LocalTalk, its also appropriate to say that a printer cable isn't not
recommended, either. <grin> It's just that most people are into networking
more than two devices, but if that's all you need, a printer cable is
great.

--
Nathan Raymond