Subject: Re: misc kernel problems
To: Benoit MARTEL <magus@cs.mcgill.ca>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/12/1997 15:43:03
> I get get a shrieking beep every time consistently now that I recompiled
> with newer sources (tarballs from last week). I dont do anything in MacOS
> but click on the booter.
>
> I run a IIvx and to tell the truth this beep is not really worse then the
> one I used to get. Even since I ran BSD (since IIvx was supported with
> it's own console) the beep I got was very faint and like the sound you
> get when you plug headphones in or out of a stereo. Now for the first
> time, it's loud and a bit more like a "real" beep except that it's
> shrieking (chalk sound).
>
> Is either of these the normal behaviour?

I don't know if this is "normal" but Scott has been doing a lot of work
on the asc (Apple Sound Chip) driver recently, trying to make it a little
more useful, I think, so these changes may be the reason why this strange
behaviour is occurring.  I'll cc this to Scott just in case he knows a
little more about it...

> I just decided to try and follow -current and since this involves a lot
> of compiles, I was wondering what kind of compile time people are
> getting. On my IIvx with 8Mb and a "recent" HD it took me 5h15 wall clock
> time to compile a generic kernel from scratch. Is this on par with you
> guys? How much does more memory speed it up etc...

I've got 28 MB or RAM and an accelerated (50MHz with no external cache)
IIci, it takes between 2.5 and 3 hours to do the full config, make depend
&& make cycle.

I hope this helps.

Later.