Subject: Re: A couple questions
To: Christian Taylor <ctaylor@fox.nstn.ca>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/12/1997 15:47:05
> 1)  When I reboot (either with 'reboot' or 'shutdown -r NOW', in multi or
> single user mode), it goes through the entire shutdown process fine, but
> just after the screen goes dark instead of rebooting, it just sits there
> and I have to hit the reset button.  This is a problem if I want to reboot
> remotely.  What can I do about this?

What kernel are you using?  This kind of problem tends to occur
sporadically as changes are made in the kernel.  I think that recent
-current kernels fix this problem (like something built withing the last
week or so).

> 2)  A lot of files in /usr/bin were corrupted.  They seem to have strange
> files sizes (ex. 16384, 24576, etc.) and they either seg fault or cause a
> bus error when you execute them.  These corrupted binaries start with 't'
> (talk, tcopy, tee, telnet, etc.) 'u' (ul, uname, unexpand, uucp, etc.) and
> 'w' (wall, what, etc.).  So basically, the last whole part of /usr/bin is
> corrupted.  I reinstalled base12, but it didn't help.  I tried extracting
> base12 on my Sparc at work and the same files seemed corrupted there as
> well (obviously though, I couldn't run them).  I managed to get a working
> telnet by getting base11 (most of those same files in base11 were the same
> way though).  Is this normal?  Somehow I don't think so.  I've tried
> downloading base12 from both ftp.netbsd.org and ftp.macbsd.org with the
> same results.  Anyone know what's wrong?

This sounds typical of the ncrscsi problem, but of course, if you are
having trouble with it on a sparc at work, maybe it's not just a bad scsi
driver.  Try upgrading to NetBSD-current, the new tarballs on
ftp.netbsd.org worked just fine for me.

I hope this helps.

Later.