Subject: Re: Further newbie printing adventures...
To: T. Sean <71410.25@CompuServe.COM>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/12/1997 15:25:01
> Well, this is turing into quite an adventure!  A few days ago, I dropped
> Bill Studenmund and Monroe Williams an email about the problems I was
> having getting my IIci and StyleWriter II to print.  While trying to work
> that problem, I looked at /var/log/lpd-errs and found a frequent entry of
> "libXt.so.6.0: No such file or directory".  Since this is part of the X
> distribution, I installed the X stuff from the InfoMagic CDROM.  Then I
> tried to print again, but still couldn't.  While scratching my head about
> printing, I thought to try X.  I cd'd to the appropriate directory and
> sent the command ./startx.  It didn't work and complained that it
> couldn't find xinit (which resides in the same directory).  When I typed
> ./xinit, it complained that it couldn't find libXext.so.6.0.  So I went
> to the FAQ, added the lines suggested in section 9.4 and tried again.
> Here's what I got:
>
> bash-2.00$ ./startx
> xinit: not found

You need to add /usr/X11R6/bin to your path first, then it will be able
to find xinit, among other things (like startx, for example).

> bash-2.00$ ./xinit
>
> ,: not found
> : not found
> -: not found
> @: not found
> @: not found

[snip]

This sounds almost like your version of xinit was corrupted, i.e. as if
the shell were trying to interpret it as a shell command file, rather
than as a binary file.  Perhaps some other method of copying the data in
will work?

> ./xinit: Interrupted system call (errno4): unable to connect to X server
> ./xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server erro.
> bash-2.00$

Definitely add /usr/X11R6/bin to your path, this might fix it if
corruption isn't the problem.

> Other than there is not much to be found on my system, what other lessons
> should I draw from this?  I am still more interested in getting my
> printer going than I am in getting X up, but I am thinking it may all be
> inter-related.

Make sure you do the ldconfig trick, not the LD_LIBRARY_PATH trick, which
seems to be having some trouble at the moment.

I don't know much about the printing thing.

I hope this helps.

Later.