Subject: Re: bad myname/hostname values
To: era eriksson <reriksso@cc.helsinki.fi>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/12/1997 12:59:38
At 1:38 PM 3/12/97, era eriksson wrote:
>On Wed, 12 Mar 1997 08:25:45 +0100,
>Johan Claesson <Johan.Claesson@uab.ericsson.se> wrote:
> > Michael Reeh wrote:
> >> i have ever successfully booted into NetBSD, right after it says "Starting
> >> networks" or whatever, i get a line like:
> >> netbsd.anarchy-x.com: bad value
>
>I kept getting the same one and traced it into /etc/netstart enough to
>be able to change it so it gives a different error message ... :-)
>
> > You must have the same entries in both /etc/hosts and /etc/myname like
> > /etc/myname
> > netbsd.anarchy-x.com
>
>I was under the impression that by convention you would only have the
>actual hostname, not the domain name here? The domain goes in
>/etc/defaultdomain, right?

That is a frequently followed convention since you will probably not be
using fully qualified names when you are disconnected from the net, but I'd
put them both in they way they said.  If nothing else you'll get better
error messages.

I think /etc/defaultdomain is only used for NIS.  The real default domain
goes in /etc/resolv.conf, but of course DNS only works while you are
connected to the net.

>What if you're only networked by means of dynamic-IP PPP? Then you
>can't put any numbers in /etc/hosts, other than 127.0.0.1, or can you?

Yes, that does get a bit tricky.  Basically, let the PPP stuff take care of
attaching the IP address to the *interface*, not your machine as a whole.
I don't know if it will work to use 127.0.0.1 as the address of your
machine, but try it.  If there is some problem you can use a network number
of 10 for your machine (e.g. 10.1.2.3) since that network is not advertised
to routers.  This should work since the PPP link will only care about the
temporary IP number and your machine will still understand that the
PPP-assigned number is an alias for itself.

>(Why do I see 127.0.0.0 here, doesn't that mean the entire netblock?)
>
> > /etc/hosts
> > 127.0.0.0    localhost       localhost.anarcht-x.com
> > 100.244.7.17 netbsd          netbsd.anarchy-x.com

I think it's just a typo.  He probably meant:
> > 127.0.0.1    localhost       localhost.anarchy-x.com
>
>Thanks for this tip, though.
>
>Cluelessly,

If you know that 127.0.0.0 is a net, not a host, name you aren't as
clueless as you pretend.