Subject: Re: ppp not static ip
To: era eriksson <reriksso@cc.helsinki.fi>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/12/1997 09:45:14
> </lurk>
> Two problems:
>   (1) you can't find them other than by looking for pointers in old
> messages to this list because [last time I looked] they were hidden in
> beneath the "private" directory, as I recall under priv/pgoyette
> (dial-on-demand, doesn't work with dynamic, as Paul and Bill already
> pointed out) and priv/wrstuden; and

You aren't bold enough. :-) You are right that if you cd to private and
do an ls, you can't see anything. BUT you can STILL cd to one of the
private directories. You just have to know which one to try.

>   (2) the script supplied with the pack does a kill -KILL of the pppd
> process which should be changed to kill -TERM or kill -HUP for it to
> work for more than one PPP session (the kill -KILL prevents pppd from
> cleaning up after it, so your setup is left with the old IP address,
> old routing information etc still hanging around). This was pointed
> out on the list some time ago so it could be fixed now, but I'd still
> check.

Last time I checked, pppd would clean up my defaultroute. You're right,
though, that it will leave the old local IP address around. But for
my dynamic address, that's not a problem. It only means I can't telnet to
one other dialed-in machine.

One thing which DOES need fixing is I want to make the kit look at the lock
file rather than looking in /proc so we can have more than one pppd running
at once.

Take care,

Bill