Subject: Re: speed of this list
To: Matthew Ahrens <matt@callnet.com>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/12/1997 11:39:17
> As Tom Tarka x3212 <tommy@boulder.vni.com> recently mentioned, this list is
> extremely slow, in that it takes a very long time (like half a day or so) for
> a message that I send to be echoed back to myself. I have a feeling that this
> is not because of the size of this list. Is it just running on a very slow
> server, or a very slow internet connection??
>
> what gives?

I get my messages back usually within 5 minutes.  The server is actually
pretty fast, and it was just upgraded like 6 months ago (or at least I
seem to remember hearing something about it back then).  Perhaps _you_
are on a slow link (I'm on a T-3 more or less here at Rice).  Of course,
the server does handle quite a bit of traffic.  I was gone for 4 days,
and the 5 or 6 netbsd lists I'm subscribed to have flooded me with over
500 pieces of mail.

Later.