Subject: Re: Can't boot anymore...
To: Thomas Bjorn Andersen <bjorn@daimi.aau.dk>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/12/1997 11:36:19
[Sorry to take so long replying to this, I've been out of town ;-) and
since no one else seems to have replied via the list... ]

> The other day I completely wiped my working NetBSD1.1 and installed 1.2. I
> didn't change the hardware setup in any way. At first I installed all the
> 1.2 tar files, except for a kernel. Then, using the 1.1 kernel, I build a
> 1.2 kernel, but for some odd reason I can no longer boot.

Sounds good so far, but I'd recommend going to -current at the moment,
since -current kernels probably fix quite a few bugs (and seem to be
rather stable on my IIci.

> I ftp'ed a few GENERIC kernels, but there was no change.
>
> I have even tried to put the GENERICSBC-16 kernel (as well as others) on a
> MacOS partition, but this is as far as it gets, no matter wether I place
> the kernel on MacOS or the unix partition:
>
> NetBSD/mac68k console
> [ preserving 292148 bytes of netbsd symbol table ]
> Bootstrapping NetBSD/mac68k.
> Getting mapping from MMU.
> System RAM: 12582912 bytes in 3072 pages.
>      Low = 0x0, high = 0xc00000
>   no internal video at address 0 -- videoaddr is 0xfcc00020.
> Done.
> Bootstrapping the pmap system.
> Pmap bootstrapped.
> Moving ROMBase from 0x40800000 to 0x9f0000.
> Video address 0xfcc00020 -> 0xbf0020.
> Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
>     The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

I get this problem when I have extensions loaded on my IIci.  Often these
extensions are ones related to networking, but I've recently decided that
they are not the only culprit.  I haven't bothered checking it out much
farther.

> Then it just freezes. I can still break into the debugger (via a serial
> console), but the only usefull thing I could find there was:
> db> trace
> _Debugger(?)
> _nmihand(0,0,20,6,0) + 8
> db> s
> Stopped at      _nmihand+0x2c:  clrl    _nmihanddeep.146        [addr:0xcd9ec ]
>
> db> s
> Stopped at      _nmihand+0x32:  unlk    a6
> db> s
> Stopped at      _nmihand+0x34:  rts
> db> s
> Stopped at      _lev7intr+0x18: moval   sp@(0x3c),a0
> db> s
> Stopped at      _lev7intr+0x1c: movl    a0,usp
> db> trace
> _lev7intr(?)
> _tsleep(e51f8,2,1c5ab,0) + 1c
> db> c

Looks like something has gone to sleep which shouldn't have, or maybe
something turned interrupts off and went to sleep without turning them
back on again???

> Does anyone have an idea as to what is going on?
>
> I have also tried playing with the various settings of the booter (1.9.5)
>
> This is on a IIvx.

My advice would be to boot with extensions off first.  Hopefully, that
will fix it.  If not, we'll have to dig a bit further.

Later.