Subject: Serial line woes!
To: NetBSD/mac68k <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Usman Muzaffar <usman@nwu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/12/1997 08:55:01
Hi:

Running NetBSD/mac68k 1.2 on an SE/30 20 MB RAM.
I'm trying to set up a serial line so I can dial into my modem.

But my modem never answers the incoming call!
(I don't think it's my modem that's at fault; it accepts connection
just fine when I use Zterm on MacOS or cu in NetBSD to just set
ATS0=1 and tell my friend to call my number)

Here's what I've done:

1. edited /etc/ttys so device tty00 executes /usr/libexec/getty std.57600
   and set the line to "on"
2. use cu to first call intialization string- I've tried several:
	AT&F0, ATZ, etc.
3. then cu to set S0=1 (autoanswer on one ring) and E0 (no echo)
4. then exit cu using "~."
5. use "kill -HUP 1" to force init to reread it's configuration

at this point ps shows that getty is running,
my modem (external 14.4) shows it's autoanswer light on
(and depending on initialization string, CD light on, too)

Now, I ask a friend to call me using his terminal emulator.
I can see my lights flicker showing there is an incoming call,
but the modem never connects, and my friend sees "NO CARRIER"

What am I doing wrong?
Please respond by e-mail - I'm not allowed to subscribe to
the mailing list from this account.

thanks,
usman
usman@nwu.edu