Subject: Re: ppp not static ip
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: era eriksson <reriksso@cc.helsinki.fi>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/12/1997 13:28:35
On Tue, 11 Mar 1997 13:03:19 -0800 (PST), wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu
(Bill Studenmund) wrote:
 >> Anayone have a ppp options and chatfile that works on an ISP if ya dont
 >> have a static ip?
 > There are two how-to kits on ftp.macbsd.com for setting up ppp. They
 > both work with dynamic addresses.

</lurk>
Two problems:
  (1) you can't find them other than by looking for pointers in old
messages to this list because [last time I looked] they were hidden in
beneath the "private" directory, as I recall under priv/pgoyette
(dial-on-demand, doesn't work with dynamic, as Paul and Bill already
pointed out) and priv/wrstuden; and
  (2) the script supplied with the pack does a kill -KILL of the pppd
process which should be changed to kill -TERM or kill -HUP for it to
work for more than one PPP session (the kill -KILL prevents pppd from
cleaning up after it, so your setup is left with the old IP address,
old routing information etc still hanging around). This was pointed
out on the list some time ago so it could be fixed now, but I'd still
check.
<lurk>

/* era */

I can't connect to ftp.macbsd.com right now so I can't check the
locations but I found them myself in some old message from November or
December. Check with the list archive, mail me in private, or hope
that somebody posts URL:s to this list. If somebody is willing to do a
bit of hand-holding, I can volunteer to write up a simple web page
with the URL:s and a modified README from one of the packages.

.obMystery: How do other people find out locations for all these funny
packages? By being on yet more overcrowded mailing lists?

--
Defin-i-t-e-ly. Sep-a-r-a-te. Gram-m-a-r.  <http://www.iki.fi/~era/>
 * Enjoy receiving spam? Register at <http://www.iki.fi/~era/spam.html>