Subject: Re: ppp not static ip
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/11/1997 17:26:31
On Tue, 11 Mar 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:

<...snip...>

> There are two how-to kits on ftp.macbsd.com for setting up ppp. They
> both work with dynamic addresses.

Actually, the dial-on-demand ppp kit on ftp.macbsd.com has not, to my
knowledge, ever been tried with dynamic addresses.  As I recall the man
page, doing dial-on-demand required specifying an IP address in the
options file.

Some time ago, someone mentioned that it _might_ work just by putting in
a bogus address.  But, since pppd creates its default route when the
daemon is started (as opposed to when the connection is made), I rather
doubt that it will work that way.

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:      |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@pgoyette.bdt.com |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com  |