Subject: Re: 3/9/97 kernel on Q650...
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/11/1997 09:59:31

> > +               if(cpui->class != MACH_CLASSAV)
> > +               {
> > +                         mac68k_vidlog = mac68k_vidphys = 0xf9000000;
> > +                         mac68k_vidlen = 1 * 1024 * 1024;
> > +               }
>
> Hmmm...  You might want to make that 2MB.  That's what I have in my
> Q700, anyway.  Granted, it's only _using_ a small part of that since
> it's not running on much of a display (actually, nothing's attached
> right now--I'm running off an Apple 2-page display NuBus card ;-).

Couldn't we just make a routine to figure it out? It's simple to test
for 0.5, 1, 2, and 4 MB of VRAM. Just write values in the end-points
of the different sizes and look for memory wraps (you write the end of
2 MB and the # at the end of 1 MB changes).

It seems wrong to tell X it has too much or too little memory. :-(

Take care,

Bill