Subject: Carrera 040 Accelerator on IIci?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Glen Stewart <port-mac68k@associate.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/10/1997 10:19:50
Looking the Accelerator Card info over at http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/info/info-2.html#ss2.1

 Daystar 33MHz 030 w/cache turned off in the control panel

 Daystar 40MHz 030 on a IIcx (jahenso@netcom.com)

 Daystar 50MHz 030 PowerCache w/ cache turned on in the control panel

 DiiMO 50mHz 030 accelerator on an SE/30 (monroe@mbw.placo.com)

 DayStar 80 MHz 040 PowerCache (tchen@ibl.org)

   - this gentleman said something about needing interleaved memory

     and that he had switched to a PowerMac or a PC with Linux?

     Given the feedback, I'd remove him from the contact list.  )-:

...I'm wondering if anyone has tried to use the Carrera on the IIci?

They boast a 410% speed improvement, but if it won't run NetBSD,

the better choice is the 50Mhz '030.  If anyone even has a keen

suspicion that it'd work, I can try it and let everyone know.

> Even with the 66/33MHz Carrera040 you'll see a speed boost of up to six

> times, out pacing the PowerPC 6100/7100/8100 while running 68040 based

> software in 68040 emulation mode. For added performance, MicroMac offers

> the CarreraTurbo 128KB Cache card. With the benefits of the 128KB cache

> (which serves as a very high-speed storage area for frequently used

> data), your Carrera040 will jump in speed by an additional 25%. The 128KB

> cache card is interchangeable with the 66/33MHz and 80/40MHz Carrera040,

> making it a sound investment if you decide to upgrade.

Thanks,

Glen_Stewart@associate.com