Subject: Re: Help - xconsole failure when non-root
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/10/1997 15:41:17
On Mon, 10 Mar 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> This should be in the FAQ, but I couldn't find it.
>
> You need to compile a console with "options UCONSOLE" for a non-root
> user to be able to re-direct the console output.
>
> So you can live with needing to be root, or compile your own kernel.
> It's a security feature which can only be configured at compilation.

Well, that's not the whole story... even if you have "options UCONSOLE",
xconsole still won't work unless you're root. I got the xconsole source
and found a place where it's making sure it's either being run as root,
or the current user owns /dev/console. #ifdef-ing that check out makes
everything work fine... I've got a copy of the patched xconsole if anyone
wants it.

Dahan: Hani G Y+C 21 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++