Subject: Re: Help - xconsole failure when non-root
To: Kyle McKay <Kyle_McKay@intuit.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/10/1997 13:03:02

> Using the standard 1.2 release of NetBSD on an SE/30 with the
> later monochrome Xserver, everything seems to work.
>
> However, when I log in as other than root, and attempt to
> run xconsole, it says it can't open console.
>
> What's going on?  I tried making xconsole set uid root
> and set gid wheel.  I tried making /dev/console a=rw.
>
> None of those worked.  However, if I su to root and then
> launch it, it works fine.
>
> Any ideas how to get xconsole to talk to the console
> when it's not running as root?

This should be in the FAQ, but I couldn't find it.

You need to compile a console with "options UCONSOLE" for a non-root
user to be able to re-direct the console output.

So you can live with needing to be root, or compile your own kernel.
It's a security feature which can only be configured at compilation.

Take care,

Bill