Subject: Re: DUO 230: Serial Echo
To: Tom Tarka x3212 <tommy@boulder.vni.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/10/1997 12:54:29
> Ah, then it seems I was using a printer cable.  So the dilemma returns,
> and I present my original question:
>
> I'm trying to get a serial console or boot echo to work from my Powerbook
> duo 230 to a 6100/66 running zterm.  I can get a direct connection
> going between the two machines if I run zterm on both, but attempting
> to turn on Boot echo or serial console results in no output to the other
> machine.
>
> My Configuration:
>
> Duo 230, 12/122, 120 = 110 root/usr + 12 swap, Apple MiniDock, external
> 15", extended keyboard and mouse

I guess we should hear what Daishi did. ??

> When booting to serial console, the boot gets to the "So I sayz to
> him...", then nothing happens (I suspect this is where it should start
> being sent to the serial console?).  Otherwise, with the boot echo on,
> nothing happens, although sometimes when using the 1.2 binaries and either
> kernel, if I hit return or send a break from the 6100, the NetBSD box will
> hang (at a prompt, during boot, whichever).  I'm not sure if this happens with the
> -current stuff, I'm not sure that I've tried this.
>
> Questions I have/potential problems:
>
> 1. Perhaps the modem and printer ports are not tty01 or tty00
>    (I suspect this is the case for the Daishi kernel, but I'm not sure how to figure this out)
>         a. Solution: try serial console without Dock
> 	b. Play around in the kernel (clues on how to do this?)

What is the mini-doc? Is that the litle thing that just clips onto the back?
I'm not sure if this kernel was used w/ a mini-doc or a full doc. Part of
the problem might be that Apple moved the I/O addresses around. Also, we
re-arrange the I/O map at a certain point, so if the serila ports are in a
non-standard place, we might not move them around correctly.

External SCSI disks don't work on the full dock as it seems there are two
serial busses.

This unit has both serial ports? Some devices have had just one or the other.

The modem's tty00, and the printer's tty01. Try just one, and maybe try a
different doc (if possable).

What experience have other folks had?

Take care,

Bill