Subject: Re: Help - Color X Kernal Hangs!
To: None <Kyle_McKay@intuit.com>
From: Taras Ivanenko <ivanenko@ctpa03.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/10/1997 15:46:45
>     From the colorkit directory this kernal:
>
>         netbsd.050896.GENERIC.grf.tar.gz
>
>     Well, during boot up NetBSD hangs the machine just when it should
>     be displaying the macvid0 and macvid1 devices.

This kernel was built ages ago, in pre-1.2 era.

>     From the old directory on ftp://ctpa01.mit.edu:/pub/ivanenko/macbsd/old
>
>        netbsd.GENERIC.color.961024.gz
>
>     This one was much more interesting.  It correctly reports macvid0 XCEED
>     640x480 8-bit.  However, it FAILS on the interal video.  It reports
>     something like can't find sResource at which point the internal video is
>     useless.

This kernel tries to load drivers and switch modes for all NuBus-like
video devices. I really did not check how it works in this setup
because I have IIcx and only one video card inside.

>     then gets the driver to reset to 1-bit mode, video works on the XCEED
>     board, but the internal video is just black with a scan line that looks
>     like bad vertical sync.

This is a progress. If the video works on external monitor, you can
insert the line line
echo >/dev/grf1
and the monitor will switch to 1-bit mode after boot.

Try video LKM in the same directory you got old kernel. It may work
better but it will also try to load driver on both macvid? devices. At
least it is easier to hard-code device 1 in this code.

	Taras Ivanenko.