Subject: Help - Color X Kernal Hangs!
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kyle McKay <Kyle_McKay@intuit.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/10/1997 11:49:23
This weekend I attempted to upgrade to a Color X compatible kernal on my SE/30.

It contains:

    640x480 8-bit color XCEED board
    512x345 1-bit internal video

The Xmacbsd-960127.tar.gz monochrome X server works fine.
The kernal correctly reports the two monitors with their
correct sizes as macvid0 and macvid1 at boot time.

What I tried:

    From the colorkit directory this kernal:

        netbsd.050896.GENERIC.grf.tar.gz

    Well, during boot up NetBSD hangs the machine just when it should
    be displaying the macvid0 and macvid1 devices.

    From the old directory on ftp://ctpa01.mit.edu:/pub/ivanenko/macbsd/old

        netbsd.GENERIC.color.961024.gz

    This one was much more interesting.  It correctly reports macvid0 XCEED
    640x480 8-bit.  However, it FAILS on the interal video.  It reports
    something like can't find sResource at which point the internal video is
    useless.

    However, it DOES NOT HANG.  It does switch the mode on the XCEED to
    some other mode where the screen has this pale greenish glow.  At this
    point, the boot continues and one can log in (typing blind).  If one
    then gets the driver to reset to 1-bit mode, video works on the XCEED
    board, but the internal video is just black with a scan line that looks
    like bad vertical sync.

    I attempted to run the

        ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/X/colorkit/Xmacbsd.960512.gz

    Xserver at this time, but all that accomplished was an error message
    and reseting the XCEED board back to 1-bit mode.

Any ideas?

Kyle McKay
Kyle_McKay@Intuit.Com