Subject: Re: DUO 230: Serial Echo
To: Tom Tarka x3212 <tommy@boulder.vni.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/10/1997 11:07:03

> > Try a printer cable. Mac printer cables are wired as null modems
> > (printers and macs have the same pinouts; that's why you can use the
> > same LocalTalk boxes on a mac and a printer).
>
> this would (since I am *so* uniformed, as I'm quickly finding!) beg the
> question, how do I know the different between a printer cable and a
> localTalk cable.

There really isn't a LocalTalk cable. LocalTalk is the networking where
you plug the little box into the printer port, and daisy-chain the
boxes to each other. You can use Apple's LocalTalk cables, or PhoneNet
(using phone-grade twisted pair wiring).

All I can think of when people talk about "LocalTalk cables" is that they
are either using a pair of LocalTalk boxes, or using a phone cable with
a PhoneNet connector on each end. There are some PhoneNet connectors
which have just one plug (and terminate), so you could get two of those
and hook them together with a phone cable. It'd work for LocalTalk, but
not standard serial ports.

Take care,

Bill