Subject: Re: misc kernel problems
To: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/10/1997 09:24:52
> I can't understand why the FAQ says an SE30 can compile it in one and a half
> hours. Perhaps if we shot the SE30 to Alpha Centauri and back at a goodly
> fraction of the speed of light... :)

Because the kernel used to be much smaller and it was compiled
differently.  No -O2, for one thing, different version of gcc,
probably no sep. libkern/libcompat, etc...  Hmm...  I wish that
I still had an old MacBSD kernel around to compare sizes.  I
think that guide was originally written back around the time
of NetBSD 0.9 or 1.0.

Also, if you're using the sbc driver with handshaking instead of PDMA,
then your SCSI performance is hurtin'.

Things change.  :-)

-allen

--