Subject: Re: DUO 230: Serial Echo
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Matthew Ahrens <matt@callnet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/09/1997 19:27:38
At 03:52 PM 3/9/97 -0800, you wrote:
>> > An AppleTalk cable?? You mean a LocalTalk cable? you can't use LocalTalk
>> > for anything on NetBSD, right now. Certainly not for serial console..
>>
>> DOH!  This could be my problem then!  I thought that I'd need a null-modem
>> cable, and that a local talk cable would be what I wanted.  So is a
>> modem-to-modem or non-"null" serial cable what I want then?
>
>Try a printer cable. Mac printer cables are wired as null modems
>(printers and macs have the same pinouts; that's why you can use the
>same LocalTalk boxes on a mac and a printer).

you may be using the right cable; a printer cable (as in, male din-8 to
male din-8, like imagewriterII or stylewriter to mac) also works for
networking 2 macs together with localtalk.

Matthew A. Ahrens               PGP KeyID: C34D9569
<mailto:matt@callnet.com>       PGP Fingerprint: 49 04 B4 B9 77 EF C2 A2
<http://www.callnet.com/~matt>                   66 6D 4C 7A B1 04 4D 7E
            finger matt@play.callnet.com for PGP Public Key