Subject: Re: DUO 230: Serial Echo
To: Tom Tarka x3212 <tommy@boulder.vni.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/09/1997 15:00:50
> I know this is an ongoing thread, but I'll ask the same questions as usual:
>
> I'm trying to get a serial console or boot echo to work from my Powerbook
> duo 230 to a 6100/66 running zterm.  I can get a direct connection
> going between the two machines if I run zterm on both, but attempting
> to turn on Boot echo or serial console results in no output to the other
> machine.
>
> My Configuration:
>
> Duo 230, 12/122, 120 = 110 root/usr + 12 swap, Apple MiniDock, external 15",
> 	extended keyboard and mouse
>

> Here's what I've done:
>
> The 6100 is running zterm, 9600 N81, with or w/o Xon/Xoff
> The Duo:
>    some of the kernel/binary combinations attempted:
> 	a: 1.2 binaries, Daishi kernel
> 	b: -current (mar ~3) binaries, Daishi kernel
> 	c: 1.2 binaries, GENERIC25 kernel
> 	d: -current, GENERIC 25 kernel
>    other modifications:
> 	e: configurations a,b,d with getty running on either or
> 		both tty01,tty00
>    booter modifications:
> 	f: either or both serial ports set to raw, serial boot echo
> 	g: either or both serial ports set to raw, serial console

What version of the booter are you using? Booter 1.9.3 has a setting
which you'll probably need. It turns the serial ports on before booting
NetBSD, so that the serial ports have power. It's in the serila ports
dislog.

Try just one port for now, and try just serial console.

> When booting to serial console, the boot gets to the "So I sayz to him...",
> then nothing happens (I suspect this is where it should start being sent
> to the serial console?).  Otherwise, with the boot echo on, nothing happens,
> although sometimes when using the 1.2 binaries and either kernel, if I
> hit return or send a break from the 6100, the NetBSD box will hang (at
> a prompt, during boot, whichever).  I'm not sure if this happens with the
> -current stuff, I'm not sure that I've tried this.
>
> Questions I have/potential problems:
>
> 1. do I need any of the DTS settings set for an appletalk cable?

An AppleTalk cable?? You mean a LocalTalk cable? you can't use LocalTalk
for anything on NetBSD, right now. Certainly not for serial console..

> 2. Perhaps the modem and printer ports are not tty01 or tty00
> 	(I suspect this is the case for the Daishi kernel, but I'm not
> 	 sure how to figure this out)
> 	a. Solution: try serial console without Dock
> 	b. Mess around with the booter source to send a serial
> 		echo somewhere else

Try it w/o the Dock. It seems to do weird things..

Oh, there's no way for the booter to change where serial console and
serial echo go, as all that is done in the kernel itself.

Take care,

Bill