Subject: DUO 230: Serial Echo
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tom Tarka x3212 <tommy@boulder.vni.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/09/1997 13:23:31
I know this is an ongoing thread, but I'll ask the same questions as usual:

I'm trying to get a serial console or boot echo to work from my Powerbook
duo 230 to a 6100/66 running zterm.  I can get a direct connection
going between the two machines if I run zterm on both, but attempting
to turn on Boot echo or serial console results in no output to the other
machine.

My Configuration:

Duo 230, 12/122, 120 = 110 root/usr + 12 swap, Apple MiniDock, external 15",
	extended keyboard and mouse

Here's what I've done:

The 6100 is running zterm, 9600 N81, with or w/o Xon/Xoff
The Duo:
   some of the kernel/binary combinations attempted:
	a: 1.2 binaries, Daishi kernel
	b: -current (mar ~3) binaries, Daishi kernel
	c: 1.2 binaries, GENERIC25 kernel
	d: -current, GENERIC 25 kernel
   other modifications:
	e: configurations a,b,d with getty running on either or
		both tty01,tty00
   booter modifications:
	f: either or both serial ports set to raw, serial boot echo
	g: either or both serial ports set to raw, serial console

When booting to serial console, the boot gets to the "So I sayz to him...",
then nothing happens (I suspect this is where it should start being sent
to the serial console?).  Otherwise, with the boot echo on, nothing happens,
although sometimes when using the 1.2 binaries and either kernel, if I
hit return or send a break from the 6100, the NetBSD box will hang (at
a prompt, during boot, whichever).  I'm not sure if this happens with the
-current stuff, I'm not sure that I've tried this.

Questions I have/potential problems:

1. do I need any of the DTS settings set for an appletalk cable?
2. Perhaps the modem and printer ports are not tty01 or tty00
	(I suspect this is the case for the Daishi kernel, but I'm not
	 sure how to figure this out)
	a. Solution: try serial console without Dock
	b. Mess around with the booter source to send a serial
		echo somewhere else
3. I'm currently compiling a -current kernel.  Are there things I could
	define in certain kernel configuration files?

Thanks,
	Tom

Tommy Tarka                            | http://clockwork.dementia.org/~tommy
Unemployed BChE, Engineering Intern    |         tommy@clockwork.dementia.org
  Tommy Tarka, harder to track than the wildebeast.  -Chris Patrick Donohue