Subject: To X or not to X, is it a question? (was Re: X)
To: Tyler <Tyler_Ingram@ultranet.ca>
From: Andrew Brennan <brennan@crashprone.allegheny.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/09/1997 13:28:23
On Mon, 10 Mar 1997, Tyler wrote:

> 	What is x? all i hear is ppl having trouble with it and i was
> wondering if i should try and install it. =)
> Also please don't tell me to read the faq, cause then i would have to turn
> vitrural memeory back on restart, and load netscape then read it =)  that
> can be really annoying =)

   X is a graphic environment for Unix (although I think everyone has
   their own favorite definition of what X is).  As to whether or not
   you should install it, it will depend on your hardware resources -
   and your patience, I suppose.  I've run it with an 8Mb SE/30, but
   I wouldn't recommend that combination where unnecessary.

   Surely the FAQ is available in an ASCII single-filed format?  I
   took a quick spin through www.macbsd.com and didn't see references
   to a non-HTML version, but ...

   Am I the only one of the mind that Lynx is an absolute requirement
   for any Unix/VMS system these days?  A lightweight, low resource
   browser for those packages that are only documented in HTML ... it
   is one of the first things I look for on a foreign system.

   Lynx and dt (or screen) and ... well, who needs Netscape?

   andrew.  (brennan@allegheny.edu)