Subject: A couple questions
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christian Taylor <ctaylor@fox.nstn.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/09/1997 12:51:54
I have NetBSD running perfectly on my IIcx.  It installed with no problems
and booted the very first time.  However, two questions:

1)  When I reboot (either with 'reboot' or 'shutdown -r NOW', in multi or
single user mode), it goes through the entire shutdown process fine, but
just after the screen goes dark instead of rebooting, it just sits there
and I have to hit the reset button.  This is a problem if I want to reboot
remotely.  What can I do about this?

2)  A lot of files in /usr/bin were corrupted.  They seem to have strange
files sizes (ex. 16384, 24576, etc.) and they either seg fault or cause a
bus error when you execute them.  These corrupted binaries start with 't'
(talk, tcopy, tee, telnet, etc.) 'u' (ul, uname, unexpand, uucp, etc.) and
'w' (wall, what, etc.).  So basically, the last whole part of /usr/bin is
corrupted.  I reinstalled base12, but it didn't help.  I tried extracting
base12 on my Sparc at work and the same files seemed corrupted there as
well (obviously though, I couldn't run them).  I managed to get a working
telnet by getting base11 (most of those same files in base11 were the same
way though).  Is this normal?  Somehow I don't think so.  I've tried
downloading base12 from both ftp.netbsd.org and ftp.macbsd.org with the
same results.  Anyone know what's wrong?

Thanks,

  -=Christian=-

--
|  Christian Taylor   |      home email:    ctaylor@fox.nstn.ca      |