Subject: Further newbie printing adventures...
To: None <PORT-MAC68K@NetBSD.ORG>
From: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <71410.25@CompuServe.COM>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/08/1997 12:54:00
Well, this is turing into quite an adventure!  A few days ago, I dropped
Bill Studenmund and Monroe Williams an email about the problems I was
having getting my IIci and StyleWriter II to print.  While trying to work
that problem, I looked at /var/log/lpd-errs and found a frequent entry of
"libXt.so.6.0: No such file or directory".  Since this is part of the X
distribution, I installed the X stuff from the InfoMagic CDROM.  Then I
tried to print again, but still couldn't.  While scratching my head about
printing, I thought to try X.  I cd'd to the appropriate directory and
sent the command ./startx.  It didn't work and complained that it
couldn't find xinit (which resides in the same directory).  When I typed
./xinit, it complained that it couldn't find libXext.so.6.0.  So I went
to the FAQ, added the lines suggested in section 9.4 and tried again.
Here's what I got:

bash-2.00$ ./startx
xinit: not found
bash-2.00$ ./xinit

,: not found
: not found
-: not found
@: not found
@: not found
X: FT/: not found
X: /ax/aNq: not found
ld.so: not found
Failure: not found
Bad: not found
Cannot: not found
crt0:: not found
ld.so: not found
NVHO: not found
f: not found
HzKHxHxNHxHxNHx: not found
: not found
NHxHxNt#: not found
LgB: not found
g: not found
nf: not found
nf.gHzHxHxE: not found
: not found
X: 1: Syntax error: "|" unexpected
giving up                             <----(At this point, probably a
wise move. Ed.)
./xinit: Interrupted system call (errno4): unable to connect to X server
./xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server erro.
bash-2.00$

Other than there is not much to be found on my system, what other lessons
should I draw from this?  I am still more interested in getting my
printer going than I am in getting X up, but I am thinking it may all be
inter-related.

BTW, I did try to see if the printer works now.  I sent the command:

lpr -Pstylps -p ~/chowntemp

It didn't print and now the /var/log/lpd-errs says:

/usr/local/sbin/lpstyl: printing started, pid = 149
Can't find initialization file gs_init.ps.
/usr/local/sbin/lpstyl: printing finished, exiting.

Where was it expecting to find gs_init.ps?

Regards,

Sean.

                 T. Sean (Theo) Schulze
71410.25@compuserve.com           TSSchulze@aol.com
theodore.schulze@metronet.de      tsschulze@t-online.de
Custom reconciles us to everything.  -- Edmund Burke