Subject: Re: memory locations...
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/08/1997 11:13:50
On Sat, 8 Mar 1997, Allen Briggs wrote:

> If loading drivers off nubus cards and utilizing the ROMs more is the
> direction that we want to take, moving I/O and nubus back to their
> normal habitats is probably necessary.  At the time I moved them down,
> I was of the opinion that we didn't want to go that route (but rather
> wanted to access the h/w directly--as impractical as that is, there are
> fewer unknowns that way...  If you're loading drivers off a card and
> running them, it's kind of a "call and pray" methodology ;-).

Yep!  :)

I've been working like heck trying to implement enough of the Mac's Slot
Manager to run my video card, and it's been an uphill battle.  But I think
it is probably necessary to continue doing this kind of thing, rather than
direct hardware access, simply due to the difficulty involved in getting
_anyone_ who makes Mac hardware to cooperate by providing specs.

Otherwise, there will be an absolute dearth of hardware support for the
Mac68k port.

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:      |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@pgoyette.bdt.com |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com  |