Subject: Re: Color X
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/08/1997 14:04:55
>I don't mean to push the subject, but when will we see color on the
>Quadras?  I just got Mosaic working under X and I love it!  I can launch X
>in 15 sec on my Quadra 660av and Mosaic in 10sec.  I am just dying for
>color now!

Well, I'll be releasing an experimental IIvx color kernel in the next few days.
Following that should come: IIsi/IIci, the LC's, and finally the AV Quadras.
Unfortunately, for the rest of the community I have no good information about
how the DAFB video controller in the rest of the Quadra family works.
I have good information about the following:

RBV/V8/VASP - IIsi/ci's, LC's, IIvx
These chips all work pretty much the same and they were simple enough that I
could figure them out without any real documentation.

Civic - Quadra AV's, some Performas(?)
A code snippet somebody mailed me tipped me off as to how this chip works.
I'm almost positive it works *exactly* the same as the chip in the x100
PowerMacs. I can rip most of the code for this one right from MkLinux.

The DAFB is quite a tricky chip. It is very programmable from what I understand
which makes supporting it all the more difficult. It is also shrouded in
mystery. Kind of like the IOP chips in the IIfx.

Sorry, but unless somebody can get me some solid info on the DAFB chip the
wait will be quite long on the Quadras.

I'm hoping to make the final version of the intvid drivers flexible so all
that is needed to add DAFB functionality to the kernel will be a good
understanding of the chip and a tiny bit of C programming.

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@rit.cs.rit.edu - http://www.rit.edu/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill