Subject: Re: memory locations...
To: Steven Campbell <campbel@istar.ca>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/08/1997 10:37:37
> Hi.  I was looking carefully at the output from a console boot, and noticed
> that a whole bunch of vectors that the MacOS expects are moved when NetBSD
> boots.  Things like the ROMBASE, Video RAM addresses, and some other device
> locations are moved.  Why is this necessary?

I don't think it is.  I did it a while back in order to simplify the
memory map.  We've already required some kludge to that because Apple
added back some hardcoded I/O addresses to the ROMs (some ROMs got
VIABase from low-memory globals--some earlier and later ROMs hardcode it).

Hmmm...  I don't have the memory map around anymore.

If loading drivers off nubus cards and utilizing the ROMs more is the
direction that we want to take, moving I/O and nubus back to their
normal habitats is probably necessary.  At the time I moved them down,
I was of the opinion that we didn't want to go that route (but rather
wanted to access the h/w directly--as impractical as that is, there are
fewer unknowns that way...  If you're loading drivers off a card and
running them, it's kind of a "call and pray" methodology ;-).

-allen

--
              Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com