Subject: Re: UPS - on a IIcx
To: Carl S Shapiro <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dave Paton <suprdave@purdue.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/07/1997 11:11:10
>> Well, here at our university has every server and router an ups, and
>> they use a COMERCIAL software that shutdown the servers if the ups
>> will become to exhausted during a powerdown.
>
>If you buy a "Best Power" brand UPS, you can ask them for documentation
>on their serial protocol.  They'll provide you with example source code
>as well.

To put my $0.02 in, I seem to recalll there being a UPS addon for linux.
Could we do something similar? From what I remember, all it did was
monitor the serial connection to the UPS (APS brand I think) and if it
got a signal that there was a problem, it would do somethign like a
shutdown -h now. This doesn't seem too hard. Maybe even a LKM?

-dave

Why are there securtiy guards at the FBI? Aren't the thousands of armed
agents enough?

suprdave@purdue.edu              http://expert.cc.purdue.edu/~suprdave
unix geek, Mac junkie                      Be patient, it's only 19.2!
"Please explain the scientific nature of the whammy."          -Scully