Subject: Re: Microspeed mouse
To: James Scott <jscott@MNSi.Net>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.giganet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/07/1997 16:43:13
Hi,

I have a Microspeed 3-button mouse on my IIcx (I think it is the same as
you are using).  I had problems with it at first, but once you get the
right kernel and right settings, it should work.

First of all, on the bottom of the mouse, there is a switch to set it to 2
or 3.  I wanted to use all three buttons so I naively set it to 3.  Wrong!
To use it with NetBSD, you need to set it to 2.

Once you have it set to 2, boot into NetBSD.  Watch the messages on bootup
carefully.  You should see a message on your screen indicating that the
kernel has recognized your mouse as a Microspeed mouse.  If it says
something about a 100dpi mouse, then it is not recognizing it properly.  I
found that the GENERIC kernel that comes witht he distribution will
recognize it.  Some custom kernels do not!  I am using the Taras color
kernel which DOES recognize the mouse.

The Mac drivers are not used so they are irrelevant, AFAIK.

Hope this helps,

Mark

On Thu, 6 Mar 1997, James Scott wrote:

> I have a Microspeed Mouse (Mac Mouse DELUX) with Ultra High REsolution.
> well i havent bein able to figure out how to make it use the X keys right.
> How do i configure it? is their a new upgrade to the software?

Mark Andres                                       Head, Support Dept.
              GIGANET by Business Network Telecom (BNT)
E-mail: mark@giganet.net  URL: http://www2.giganet.net/private/users/mark/