Subject: Will it work?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.giganet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/07/1997 10:22:02
Hi,

Here is a hare-brained scheme that I have come up with and I was wondering
if it will work or not.  I have a IIcx (20/730) with a "Toby" video card,
a Microspeed mouse, and Asante Nubus ethernet card.  I absolutely love
having my 3 button mouse and running X in color!  I now spend much more
time using my IIcx running netbsd than I do using my PPC running MacOS.
The only problem is have is the slow IIcx CPU ('030 @ 16Mhz).

My scheme is this:  get a used Quadra 800.  According to the working
machine list <http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/machine-status/>
seems to be running stably, but there is no color X on the internal video
and the internal ethernet is not yet supported.  I know work is being done
on these areas.

If I take the video card and ethernet card out of the IIcx and put them in
the Q800, will netbsd recognize (i.e. can I use) the Nubus video and
ethernet instead of the built-in hardware?  The machine status has ?? for
this, so I was wondering if anyone out there has treid this.  I checked
the user survey but no one has registered a Q800.  Actually, I am not so
concerned about the ethernet as I am the video.

If it works, I can use the Nubus card(s) until internal support is added.
Then, I can return the cards to the IIcx.  My plan is to eventually turn
the IIcx into a low traffic web server.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Mark Andres                                       Head, Support Dept.
              GIGANET by Business Network Telecom (BNT)
E-mail: mark@giganet.net  URL: http://www2.giganet.net/private/users/mark/