Subject: Re: Performa 550 / Zip disk driver
To: B. Alex King III <king@sunphy1.phy.uic.edu>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.giganet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/07/1997 09:26:04
Hi,

Not really an answer but just a comment.  On one of the Mklinux lists
there has been a lot of discussion recently about over-heating problems
with the Jaz drives.  Apparently the ones sold directly by Iomega do not
have a fan.  When left on for long periods (relevant since UN*X systems
like to be on all the time), the drives overheat and fail.  Anyone who is
thinking of running NetBSD off of a Jaz drive might want to get one from
La Cie or APS in a case with a fan.

Mark

On Thu, 6 Mar 1997, B. Alex King III wrote:

> I have been following this topic with some interest as I am trying to run
> NetBSD from a Jaz cartridge and have a few questions.  Does all of what has
> been said here apply to Jaz carts. too?  I used Silverlining to partition
> the cartridge and now have some minor conflicts similar to those
> described here.  Also, the partitioning software will allow me to install
> the Silverlining driver on the Driver_43 partition.  How will the disk
> drivers on the Driver and Driver_43 partitions interact?  Thanks for the
> help.
> bak

Mark Andres                                       Head, Support Dept.
              GIGANET by Business Network Telecom (BNT)
E-mail: mark@giganet.net  URL: http://www2.giganet.net/private/users/mark/