Subject: Re: Performa 550 / Zip disk driver
To: Matthew Becker <mbbecker@mail.deforest.k12.wi.us>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/06/1997 17:23:41

> If this were true then I shouldn't be able to access my zip dirve when I
> don't have the ZIP driver or the control panel installed on my internal HD.
> I don't have either of these installed, but I can access the ZIP disk, it
> mounts just like normal.

I thought you mentioned that you had put the APS 2.7.3 driver on this disk.
That would be one driver on the disk. If you have the iomega guest CP,
then that would be another.

> How would you explain the dialog the MAC puts up saying "Couldn't load ZIP
> driver because another driver is alredy controlling it."  To me this would
> mean the driver that is located on the ZIP disk.

The message indicates that there are two drivers trying to control that
drive. Your having two different icons, one a zip icon and the other
an APS one (if I'm remembering the snipped part of the message right).

I have encountered no drivers other than the iomega ones which have ZIP
icons. Thus your sighting of the ZIP icon seem to me to mean that
you've got an iomega driver in the system somewhere.

> Take a look at the partitions on a new ZIP disk.  They contain four
> partition and one of them is the ZIP driver.  It occupies over 200k.

Are you sure that was a Zip DATA disk? Just to be sure, I pulled out
both a Zip Data and the Zip Tools disks.

Different utilities saw different things, which puzzles me. But the gist
was that an untouched data cartridge had a 95 MB Apple_HFS partition,
a 5 K iomega_diskinfo partition, a 0 K iomega_backup [artition, and
a 5 K iomega_diskinfo partition. I want to try again at home as I
wonder if the zip driver is playing tricks.

The Zip Tools disk had a 15 K partition map, a 234 K Iomega_reserved
(the driver?) a 47 MB Apple_HFS driver, and a 47 MB Iomega_reserved
partition (where the DOS tools live).

The trick of putting no or partial drivers on removables certainly goes
back to the days of 40 MB syquests (where 200 K for a driver was a
bigger deal). When we used them, if we used Ehman drivers, you couldn't
read the disk w/o the Ehman driver in the system folder of the boot
disk. But if we used "normal" drivers, we could see the disk w/o any
special hacks.

Take care,

Bill