Subject: Re: a few questions . . .
To: None <roark@bulloch.com>
From: Masami and Ken Nakata <masami@fa2.so-net.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/06/1997 15:55:08
On Wed, 5 Mar 1997 19:27:08 -0500,
Michael Roark <roark@bulloch.com> wrote:
> I just re-installed bsd on my SE/30 (had hard drive problems)
[...]
> 1. what is the kernel I need to use for X to work on my machine?

The grf (graphics) driver used to have a bug which prevented X server
from properly working on SE/30 internal video.  I believe it's fixed
now though I haven't verified by myself.  If I'm right, a recent
kernel (like GENERIC-25) should be OK for you.

If that doesn't work for you, you can get a version of X server which
works around the grf driver bug.  It's available at
ftp://ftp.macbsd.COM/pub/NetBSD/X/colorkit/Xmacbsd.960512.gz and it's
a gzipped NetBSD executable, not a gzipped tar.

> 2. why can't I save my prefs for the booter?

This one's covered in INSTALL document for the official 1.2 release.
Basically you should "save prefs" then "quit" to actually save the
prefs.  I tend to believe I've seen someone say this was no longer
true, but it probably doesn't apply to your version of Install
utility.  New versions are available on ftp.netbsd.org (somewhere
under /pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/, I think).

> 3. what does it mean when I log in as root and I get a return that says I
> have "too many ('s " ?

Hmm, I don't think I've seen this before...  Exactly what do you type
when logging in as root?

Ken