Subject: Re: Performa 550 / Zip disk driver
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Matthew Becker <mbbecker@mail.deforest.k12.wi.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/05/1997 12:53:21

>> Upon startup your Mac searches it's for SCSI devices and the drivers that
>> they may contain.  If it fails to find a driver after doing the SCSI search
>> it loads the one that is located on the starup volume (You internal HD most
>> likely).
>>
>> When you startup with the ZIP disk in the ZIP drive your Mac finds the
>> driver that APS put on the ZIP disk and uses that driver to control the I/O
>> of the ZIP drive.  If you leave the ZIP disk out of the ZIP drive on
>> startup, the driver on your startup volume loads and it controls the I/O of
>> the ZIP drive.
>
>Zip's are a little different. iomega has a control pannel (or is it an
>extension) which will support the drive. They try to put only a minimal driver
>on the Zip so that there's more space for your stuff. Thus if you leave the
>Zip out, the iomega driver in the system folder loads and latches onto the
>Zip. When you put in a cartridge, then the driver (not the one on the disk)
>serves it up.
>
>Take care,
>
>Bill

If this were true then I shouldn't be able to access my zip dirve when I
don't have the ZIP driver or the control panel installed on my internal HD.
I don't have either of these installed, but I can access the ZIP disk, it
mounts just like normal.

How would you explain the dialog the MAC puts up saying "Couldn't load ZIP
driver because another driver is alredy controlling it."  To me this would
mean the driver that is located on the ZIP disk.

Take a look at the partitions on a new ZIP disk.  They contain four
partition and one of them is the ZIP driver.  It occupies over 200k.

Matthew Becker                                     Custom Internet Solutions
mbbecker@mail.deforest.k12.wi.us                   WEB, FTP, SMTP, POP3, DNS