Subject: Re: a few questions . . .
To: Michael Roark <roark@bulloch.com>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/05/1997 20:17:27
> I just re-installed bsd on my SE/30 (had hard drive problems), and am
> trying to get a few things going. It would be of great help if anyone has
> the answers to the following questions:
>
> 1. what is the kernel I need to use for X to work on my machine?

Any kernel should work, I think (from the 1.2 distribution onward),
however, your choice of X server is a little more important.  Check the
FAQ for more info on SE/30's and X servers.

> 2. why can't I save my prefs for the booter?

Get a newer version of the Booter.  This problem should be fixed in
1.9.5, I believe.  This is also in the FAQ, I think (and if not, I'll
have to add it)...ok, it's not in there, I'll have to add that one...but
I do think it might be in the INSTALL document (I know I've read it
somewhere).

> 3. what does it mean when I log in as root and I get a return that says I
> have "too many ('s " ?

You got me on this one.  How are you loggin in as root, and what are you
doing to produce this message?

> If these have been covered recently or are in the FAQ's I am sorry. I am
> frustrated (to be read "new at Unix") and could use some guidance.

BTW, the FAQ is located at:

http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/faq/

I hope this helps.

Later.