Subject: Re: help getting perl going
To: Max Leek <max@spidaweb.eils.lib.id.us>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/05/1997 20:07:18
> I've transferred perl 5.002 (from puma) to a Mac Classic II running netBSD.
> I'm new to un*x, but I want to learn to use perl.
>
> When I run the configure program, whether or not I select the -d flag, the
> program quits when it can't find a "hints" file to cd to, and then can't
> open /UU/myread.
>
> Specifically, after it determines that this is my first time through the
> configuration program, it says:
>
> cd: can't cd to hints.
> ls: *.sh: No such file or directory.
>
> [Then two lines of instructions]
>
> .: Can't open ../UU/myread
>
> There is a myread file; there isn't a hints directory.
>
> I'm looking for a way to either use the Configure script or an alternate
> way to build a configuration file.

Hmmm...I don't quite know what would be causing the above, other your
having installed it in a slightly different location than it was
originally configured to handle.  I'd recommend grabbing 5.003 and
compiling it (it only took a few hours last night, although it maight
take you a full day on a Classic II )-:

Later.