Subject: Re: Performa 550 / Zip disk driver
To: Jeffrey Ohlmann <jaohlma@bgnet.bgsu.edu>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/05/1997 06:27:03

>As I mentioned, I'm booting NetBSD off of a Zip disk.  Would the driver
>used there make a difference?  It appears that I have managed to get two
>drivers installed on that disk; one, the original zip driver, and two,
>whatever driver APS2.7.3 Power Tools installed when I partitioned it.  I
>haven't done any controlled experimentation vis-a-vis which seems to
>perform better, but generally the APS driver seems more successful.

If you got it to boot NetBSD this won't be a problem at all. NetBSD has
it's own drivers for dealing with SCSI devices and the MacOS ones are out
of the picture when the Booter passes control to the Kernel.

BYW, it's possible under MacOS to have two drivers on the disk. One in
the DRIVER partition and one in the DRIVER_43 partition.

-bob