Subject: Re: Digest format?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Ostrowick <jon@macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/05/1997 11:04:06
digest mode is automated and done by the listserv. I'm not sure if the
majordomo running on netbsd.org can do it, but macjordomo on macOS can do
it.

>> I'm just curious: Exactly what kind of archive do people think of when
>> they say it's "in digest format"?  Does someone, a living human being,
>> actually have to read through the posts and "digest" them?  Or is
>> there any tool which somehow automatically generates an archive in
>> such a format?
>>
>> If it's a hand-pilotted operation, I don't think there's much
>> possibility that someone actually might volunteer to do it.  If it's
>> an automated process, I have doubts in the ease of understanding such
>> an archive compared to the status quo.
>
>I think the idea stems from the fact that a LISTSERV server (a
>package dating back to mainframe days) will automatically generate
>digests of the list. So for each list, there is typically a list-d
>digested list. It's all automatic.
>
>The other alternative I've found is to use incoming mail filtering
>so that different lists go to seperate mail queues. That way you
>get the seperability of a digest, and the granularity of seperate
>messages.
>
>Take care.
>
>Bill

John Ostrowick
Computer Science Department,   University of the Witwatersrand
1 Jan Smuts Ave, Johannesburg, South Africa. Senate House 1012
Phone: +27 11 716-3783         Fax: +27 11 339-3513
jon@cs.wits.ac.za              jon@is.co.za
My web page: http://macenroe.cs.wits.ac.za/aboutme.html
My ftp site: ftp://macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za
My listserv: subscr@cs.wits.ac.za (body of 'help')