Subject: Re: Performa 550 / Zip disk driver
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Matthew Becker <mbbecker@mail.deforest.k12.wi.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/05/1997 01:01:27
>On Mon, 3 Mar 1997, Bob Nestor wrote:
>
>> Which disk drive are you using for NetBSD?  The original disk was a 160
>> Meg Quantum with Apple ROMS, but it suffers some with the standard SCSI
>> driver in NetBSD.  The same disks were used in the LC-II and LC-III and
>> NetBSD users of these systems have reported much better success with the
>> SBC SCSI driver.
>
>As I mentioned, I'm booting NetBSD off of a Zip disk.  Would the driver
>used there make a difference?  It appears that I have managed to get two
>drivers installed on that disk; one, the original zip driver, and two,
>whatever driver APS2.7.3 Power Tools installed when I partitioned it.  I
>haven't done any controlled experimentation vis-a-vis which seems to
>perform better, but generally the APS driver seems more successful.
>
>(The Zip driver loads when there is no disk in the drive; upon insertion
>the Zip icon shows up on the desktop.  If I leave the disk in the drive
>during startup/restart, I get a message that the zip driver could not be
>loaded.  The disk shows up on the desktop with the custom icon installed
>by Power Tools.)
>

>Jeff

Upon startup your Mac searches it's for SCSI devices and the drivers that
they may contain.  If it fails to find a driver after doing the SCSI search
it loads the one that is located on the starup volume (You internal HD most
likely).

When you startup with the ZIP disk in the ZIP drive your Mac finds the
driver that APS put on the ZIP disk and uses that driver to control the I/O
of the ZIP drive.  If you leave the ZIP disk out of the ZIP drive on
startup, the driver on your startup volume loads and it controls the I/O of
the ZIP drive.

Hope that answered your question.

Matthew Becker                                     Custom Internet Solutions
mbbecker@mail.deforest.k12.wi.us                   WEB, FTP, SMTP, POP3, DNS