Subject: Re: Performa 550 / Zip disk driver
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
From: Jeffrey Ohlmann <jaohlma@bgnet.bgsu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/05/1997 01:24:26
On Mon, 3 Mar 1997, Bob Nestor wrote:

> Which disk drive are you using for NetBSD?  The original disk was a 160
> Meg Quantum with Apple ROMS, but it suffers some with the standard SCSI
> driver in NetBSD.  The same disks were used in the LC-II and LC-III and
> NetBSD users of these systems have reported much better success with the
> SBC SCSI driver.

As I mentioned, I'm booting NetBSD off of a Zip disk.  Would the driver
used there make a difference?  It appears that I have managed to get two
drivers installed on that disk; one, the original zip driver, and two,
whatever driver APS2.7.3 Power Tools installed when I partitioned it.  I
haven't done any controlled experimentation vis-a-vis which seems to
perform better, but generally the APS driver seems more successful.

(The Zip driver loads when there is no disk in the drive; upon insertion
the Zip icon shows up on the desktop.  If I leave the disk in the drive
during startup/restart, I get a message that the zip driver could not be
loaded.  The disk shows up on the desktop with the custom icon installed
by Power Tools.)

Jeff