Subject: Re: Partitions and superblocks
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <71410.25@CompuServe.COM>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/04/1997 15:10:00
>> Well this explains a lot.  I was working under the assumption that the
>> device partition assignment followed the same logical order as the device
>> assignment.  This clears up a bit of advice Colin Wood gave me a while
>> back when I was trying to mount my cdrom drive.  He advised me to mount
>> /dev/cd0c.  I looked in /dev, saw there was a cd0a, and mounted that one
>> instead.  Seems to work, but I think I will try cd0c and see what happens.
>
>Since the cd-rom disklabeler AFAIK puts the whole thing into one partition,
>there's no difference on cd's.
>
>I don't know where this tradition started, but it was present in at least
>BSD 4.3, and probably earlier. I think it started as, we need a root and
>some swap. Doh, now we need to get at the whole disk.

Just for grins I sent the command: "disklabel cd0".  I got back a message
"/dev/rcd0: no such file or directory.  The command "disklabel cd0a"
tells me (among other things) that I have 3 partitions labelled a and c.
(Go figure!)  It also gave me:

disklabel: partition a: partition extends past end of unit
disklabel: partition c: partition extends past end of unit

Is this bad?

>Never sysadmin before you're had
>your morning coffee.

Good advice always! ;-)

Cheers,

Sean.

                 T. Sean (Theo) Schulze
71410.25@compuserve.com           TSSchulze@aol.com
                 tsschulze@t-online.de
Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but
his judgement; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if
he sacrifices it to your opinion. -- Edmund Burke