Subject: Re: Digest format?
To: None <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Masami and Ken Nakata <masami@fa2.so-net.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/04/1997 16:17:56
On Mon, 3 Mar 1997 21:42:48 -0800 (PST),
wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu (Bill Studenmund) wrote:

> I think the idea stems from the fact that a LISTSERV server (a
> package dating back to mainframe days) will automatically generate
> digests of the list. So for each list, there is typically a list-d
> digested list. It's all automatic.

So you receive a bundled messages once a day for a particular list,
instead of each individual message.  Ok.  Thanks for the explanation.

> The other alternative I've found is to use incoming mail filtering
> so that different lists go to seperate mail queues. That way you
> get the seperability of a digest, and the granularity of seperate
> messages.

I used to do this with procmail when I was at Rutgers.  Right now, I
use an Emacs-based MUA called "mew" which has a nice feature to "sort"
each message into appropriate "folder".  It even tries to tell which
folder it has to put a new message into, from the message ID it's
replying to.  Probably that's why I don't feel the necessity of digests
that much.

Later,

Ken