Subject: Re: Digest format?
To: None <masami@fa2.so-net.or.jp>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/04/1997 00:23:51

> > > Is this list available in digest format?  And if so, how
> > > can I receive distributions as such?
>
> I'm just curious: Exactly what kind of archive do people think of when
> they say it's "in digest format"?  Does someone, a living human being,
> actually have to read through the posts and "digest" them?  Or is
> there any tool which somehow automatically generates an archive in
> such a format?
>
> If it's a hand-pilotted operation, I don't think there's much
> possibility that someone actually might volunteer to do it.  If it's
> an automated process, I have doubts in the ease of understanding such
> an archive compared to the status quo.
>
> Admittedly, the official mailing list archive isn't a friendliest in
> the world...

I think Bill pretty much answered this one, but from what I've seen, a
digest is created by some process on the list serving machine.
Basically, it has a digest size set for a particular list, and when
enough messages have come in to meet that size, it sends them all out
bundled together in a digest (i.e. 1 big email).

Does this make sense?

Later.