Subject: Re: Digest format?
To: None <masami@fa2.so-net.or.jp>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/03/1997 21:42:48

> > > Is this list available in digest format?  And if so, how
> > > can I receive distributions as such?
>
> I'm just curious: Exactly what kind of archive do people think of when
> they say it's "in digest format"?  Does someone, a living human being,
> actually have to read through the posts and "digest" them?  Or is
> there any tool which somehow automatically generates an archive in
> such a format?
>
> If it's a hand-pilotted operation, I don't think there's much
> possibility that someone actually might volunteer to do it.  If it's
> an automated process, I have doubts in the ease of understanding such
> an archive compared to the status quo.

I think the idea stems from the fact that a LISTSERV server (a
package dating back to mainframe days) will automatically generate
digests of the list. So for each list, there is typically a list-d
digested list. It's all automatic.

The other alternative I've found is to use incoming mail filtering
so that different lists go to seperate mail queues. That way you
get the seperability of a digest, and the granularity of seperate
messages.

Take care.

Bill