Subject: Re: How do I log the errors on pppd???
To: Jonathan Lyons <lelsoft1@usa.nai.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/03/1997 17:23:20

> When connecting using pppd exactly how do I log the errors? I know I have
> to put -v somewhere, but I'm not using the command line, like "pppd
> noipdefault connect modem '/etc/ppp/ppp-chat -v' 57600" so I can't put it
> there. The only places I think I can put it is the chat script. But then
> what does it log the errors to?

I assume you're using one of the ppp kits? You need to do two things.

1) find the place where chat gets called. This is not the chat script,
but one of the autodialer scripts. The one I put up has a commented-
out line which will call chat w/ the -v. A grep chat * in /etc/ppp
will give you a hint on where to look.

2) Set syslog up to log these messages. You'll need to add a line
like "local2.*		/var/log/info" or wherever you want the
results to go.

Take care,

Bill