Subject: Re: ls -al = illegal instruction??
To: Jeffrey Ohlmann <jaohlma@bgnet.bgsu.edu>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/03/1997 18:10:51
>I just installed the kernel and base packages on a Performa 550. I have
>rebooted several times and done further installations, including several
>ppp-related packages found amongst the NetBSD web pages.
>
>Aside from a few hangs during boots, the my initial log-ins were
>uneventful, i.e., no baffling errors.
>
>This morning, however, when logged in as "root" (and previously in
>single-user), typing "ls -al" at the command line gave me the error
>"illegal instrution: core dumped".
>
>I suspect this shouldn't be happening; can anyone assist me, please?

Since I was probably the first Performa-550 user with NetBSD (thanks to
one of John Wittkowski's early ADBTEST Kernels and Walter Ruetten's
determination with the MRG code), I can probably help here.

The 550 didn't come with an FPU but it does have a slot for one. NetBSD
does perform a lot better with an FPU.  Have you installed one in your
system?  If you have did you make sure to get the right one?  The LC-520
uses a 25Mhz 68030, but the 550 uses a 33Mhz CPU.  I believe you really
want a 33Mhz 68882 FPU, but most of the ones on the market today are at
most 25Mhz.

Which disk drive are you using for NetBSD?  The original disk was a 160
Meg Quantum with Apple ROMS, but it suffers some with the standard SCSI
driver in NetBSD.  The same disks were used in the LC-II and LC-III and
NetBSD users of these systems have reported much better success with the
SBC SCSI driver.

Have you done any other upgrades to the 550 that might affect NetBSD?
Replacing the 1Meg SIMM strip with a larger one might cause problems if
you're not using a 70ns or better non-composite SIMM (parity is
unimportant so PC SIMMS will work).

I think I followed all the rules when I upgraded everything on my system
and it's been solid running NetBSD since the days of 1.0 - except for a
few minor glitches caused by my hacking.

-bob